Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Homeless

Chaos is perpetual order, seeking truth and constantly finding momentum.

One man's life touches so many others, when he's not there it leaves an awfully big hole. Clarence “It’s A Wonderful Life”

The homeless is a voiceless populous that have for years the general masses has turned their nose up to their plight. One myth which I find appalling is that the homeless people don't work and get most of their money from public assistance programs. The truth is that many homeless people are among the working poor, and a relatively small percentage of them receive government assistance.
I have had little experience with the homeless until recently. In the past I dealt with the homeless in a non personal setting by having them work for an establishment that was my employer (temp agency) and when I worked as an orderly for a psychiatric hospital. In both cases I have seen the extreme polar opposites.
Just recently I have started to work for a shelter that deals with the spectrum of the homeless that have a problem with addiction to narcotics and alcohol. I have met people from all walks of life, people that were in the white collar community as well as the blue collar side of the house. Life threw them a curve ball and before anyone get a preconceive notion we are not immune or impervious. At times in each persons life hardship happens regardless. I never had an understanding until I talked to them and heard their stories. It is heartbreaking to see individuals that for whatever reason had fallen short. I admit that there is a populous that does not want to work but they are a minority.
Past elections have been about family values (gay marriages) and the war on terror which was a smoke screen. Both parties fell short addressing the problems of the homeless which proves their true concern is dictated by what is fashionable in the political arena. The homeless is a sad truth of America’s shortcomings. I challenge everyone to take some time and volunteer and get that degree in humility. Remeber that we are sentient beings that transverse through out this world.

http://coe.west.asu.edu/homeless/myths.htm

No comments: